The Conference is chaired successively by each OR, for a period of at least one year. At the ordinary session held in the chair region, the Conference appoints the next Presidency of the Conference from among its members and decides on the duration of its mandate according to the European, national and regional agenda.
In 2017, a provisional calendar of future presidencies was adopted for the up-coming years.
In accordance with the Memorandum of Cooperation signed by the Presidents, the President of the OR who chairs the Conference has to:
- Represent the Conference before European institutions, bodies and agencies;
- Coordinate actions and initiatives in favor of the outermost regions interests;
- Convene the meetings of the Conference;
- Chair the meetings of the Conference;
- Any other task assigned by the Conference.
In addition, he is responsible for:
- Preparing and presenting the program of his presidency at the beginning of his term;
- Ensuring relations with the European institutions on behalf of the Conference;
- Coordinating the representation of outermost regions in European forums to to defend these regions;
- Participating in the Political Bureau of the Conference of Peripheral and Maritime Regions of Europe (CPMR);
- Transmitting the common positions of the Conference to the European institutions;
- Organizing the annual session of the Conference in its territory.