The European Parliament is the institution which, along with the Council, has the power to adopt and amend the European Commission’s legislative proposals and to decide on the EU budget.
Members of the European Parliament are directly elected to represent the interests of EU citizens and to ensure the democratic functioning of the other EU institutions. It also cooperates with national parliaments, particularly in the application of the principle of subsidiarity.
Outermost Regions Parliamentary Intergroup
Members of Parliament from the ORs work together within the Conference of the parliament members of the outermost regions to make progress on issues, particularly in the “regional development” Committee which deals with issues related to outermost regions.
Since 1997, the European Parliament has published various resolutions on outermost regions, among which we can highlight:
- Resolución sobre el informe de la Comisión relativo a las medidas destinadas a aplicar el artículo 292.2 referido a las RUP (2000)
- Report on a stronger partnership for the outermost regions (2005)
- Report on the strategy for the outermost regions: achievements and future prospects (2008)
- Report on the role of Cohesion Policy in the outermost regions of the European Unión in the context of EU2020 (2012)
- Resolución sobre el fomento de la cohesión y el desarrollo en las Regiones Utraperiféricas de la UE: aplicación del artículo 349 del TFUE (2017)